BLOG: The NEP Experience
Our current cohort and NEP Alumni have been busy!
May 5, 2023
- NEP 3.0 alumna Dr. Ameena Al-Sumati delivers a keynote at the ICMEM 2023 conference in Kerala, India on energy management in residential homes.
May 27, 2023
- NEP 1.0 Fellow Abdulla Al Remeithi is named UAE Liaison on behalf of the COP28 Presidency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Bonn, Germany.
May 31, 2023
- NEP 3.0 alumnus Abdulla Alshehhi participates in the 66th session of the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space in Vienna. The committee “governs the exploration and use of space for the benefit of all humanity: for peace, security and development.”
June 2, 2023
- NEP 3.0 alumnus Hamad Al Shehhi publishes an op-ed in Wired on the urgent necessity of adopting AgTech—agricultural technology—to safeguard the UAE’s future food security.
“It will take time, but with every small step we take, AgTech promises a lasting positive impact on our food systems and our planet for years to come.” – Hamad Al Shehhi
June 4, 2023
- NEP 3.0 alumna Maitha Al Hameli is profiled in Al Ittihad and Khaleej Times, framing COP28 as an opportunity to adopt a framework to improve biodiversity.
“The best way to combat climate change is not to interfere with nature but to ensure conservation is done effectively for species, habitats and the whole ecosystem.” – Maitha Al Hameli
June 5, 2023
- NEP 1.0 Fellow Abdulla Al Remeithi, NEP 2.0 Fellow Omar Al Braiki, and NEP 3.0 alumnus Saood Al Noori participate in the Bonn Climate Change Conference in Germany. The conference continued discussions on critical issues from COP27—such as the global stocktake, just transition, and loss and damage fund.
June 6, 2023
- NEP 3.0 alumnus Abdulla Alshehhi is profiled in Al Arabiya as an advocate for using space technologies to amplify climate change mitigation efforts.
June 7, 2023
- NEP 1.0 alumna Nour Al Mehairi is profiled in Al Ittihad as a member of the Sustainability Experts Network, focusing on youth activations, reducing food waste, and sustainable food choices in the Year of Sustainability.
“Adopting sustainable practices in food systems will be a good start for the health of the individual and the earth together.” – Nour Al Mehairi
June 9, 2023
- Four NEP 3.0 alumni are profiled in The National on their drive to transform their sectors: Waheeda Alhadhrami, in the Media and the Creative Economy sector; Saood Al Noori, Energy and Renewables; Abdulla Alshehhi, Space; and Fatima Rashid Al-Ali, Health and Well-Being.
July 1, 2023
- NEP 2.0 Fellow Nouf Al Hamly is interviewed by Fortune Arabia about the potential for scientific diplomacy to advance humankind.
“By exchanging knowledge, experience and resources, the UAE can strengthen global partnerships, contribute to the development of science and technology around the world, and promote mutual understanding and progress.” – Nouf Al Hamly
July 3, 2023
- NEP 2.0 alumnus Hassan Alnoon is interviewed by Entrepreneur Al Arabiya on the tech trends that are making a difference.
"To be part of global scientific development, we must actively engage in technical advancements, acquiring and developing technologies, and leveraging them to achieve desired growth. Embracing this path is essential for progress." – Hassan Alnoon
July 20, 2023
- NEP 3.0 alumna Dr. Ameena Al-Sumati is awarded by the United States’ National Academy of Sciences for her project on “Coordinated Carbon Capture Mechanisms in Smart Grids.” She will present her work at the 9th Arab-American Frontiers Symposium in Doha in October.
- Several further papers co-authored by Dr. Ameena are scheduled for publication in three peer-reviewed journals: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics; IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics; and Electric Power Systems Research.
July 26, 2023
- NEP 2.0 Fellow Omar Al Braiki delivers an impactful communique on climate at the fourth meeting of the G20 Environment and Climate Sustainability Working Group in Chennai, India.